Friday, August 20, 2010

100 days later: Labour would win & death of the Lib Dems update

I'm a big fan of Channel 4's "fact checker" which independently vets political claims. I was also interested to read this morning that a Channel 4 "poll of polls" suggests that Labour would be the largest party in a hung parliament if an election were held today.

Unfortunately an election won't be held today and I don't expect there to be one for several years as Clegg is so close to the Tories it feels almost inevitable that he will be absorbed into them at some point. These polls could suggest that the public is starting to wake up to the reality of a pre-meditated Tory cuts agenda. What is clear though is that the Lib Dems are the biggest losers. This is just the latest in a series of damaging polls for the Lib Dems. What will they do for people to start liking them again?

Charles Kennedy apparently doesn't see much hope of that happening and is planning to join the Labour Party with a few other Lib Dem MPs. I'd welcome him to the party. I never thought I'd write that.

No comments: